Upcoming Events in Cheraw
- "35th Annual Cheraw Spring Festival" - March 26-28, 2010 - Award Winning Family Community Festival. For more information contact the Cheraw Visitor's Bureau at 1-888-537-0014 or visit www.cheraw.com
- "A Taste of Cheraw" - April 22, 2010 - An elegant evening of culinary delights and music. Contact the Greater Cheraw Chamber of Commerce at 843-537-7681
- "Beyond the Garden Gate Porch and Garden Tour" - May 2, 2010 from 2-5PM - Featuring 10 special places in Cheraw's Historic District. Tickets $8 advance $10 on the day of the event. Contact 843-537-6244 or visit www.cheraw.com
Old St. David's Church
Built in 1770, Old St. David's was the last Anglican or "state" church built in South Carolina
under King George III. The church was used by the Americans and the British during the Revolution,
and later by both the Confederate and Union armies. For many years, it was the cotton planters'
church for the Upper Pee Dee. The church has soldiers from every war buried in its graveyard, and
the oldest Confederate monument in the country. Keys to the church may be picked up at the Chamber
of Commerce. 100 Church Street.
Confederate Monument: Cemetary, Old St. David's
Dedicated in July of 1867, this was the first monument in the country to be erected in memory of
those who had fallen in the Confederate War. There are unknown Confederate soldiers buried in this
(c. 1820?) The Lyceum now houses a museum depicting Cheraw's history. It began life as a chancery
court, became the Lyceum Meeting Room and private library, Cheraw's first telegraph office, and
both the Confederate and Union quartermaster's headquarters. Included in exhibits are a field
cotton scale and photographs of early cotton markets. Town Green, Market Street. Keys for the
museum may be picked up at the Chamber of Commerce across the Green.
Cheraw Museum and History Company
The Cheraw Museum and History Company houses a changing exhibit room and also provides tours for a
fee of an antebellum home on Market Street furnished with Southern antiques and art. Open Tuesday
- Saturday, 181 Second Street. (843 921-2090)
(c. 1858). The Masons paid for part of this building and used it as a meeting place. The exterior
double staircase is thought to have been designed by Christopher Werner of Charleston. The
building is still used for city offices. It was once also an opera house. Market Street.
(c. 1837) Once used as a public market and court of equity, this steepled building was designed by
Conlaw Peter Lynch. Restored by the town, it is used for civic purposes. Market Street.
Cheraw also has a number of 17th, 18th and early 19th century dwellings. The four below are just a
sample of some of them. A more complete listing can be found in
“A Guide to the Cheraw Historic District”.
Built prior to 1780, “The Teacherage” is said to be the oldest dwelling in the original town of
Cheraw. The south “L” was added in the 1840’s by the Malloy family who were merchants and cotton
brokers. Teachers once boarded here in the mid 20th century. Along the cotton trail these
residences for teachers were called “Teacherages.” This is a private residence, please view from
the street only. 230 Third Street.
The Lafayette House
The Lafayette House was built by Dr. William Ellerbe in 1823 and was the site of a public reception
for Gen. Lafayette on his 1825 return visit to the United States. Dr. Archibald Malloy remodeled
the house after his marriage to Henrietta Coit in 1843. The interesting cross halls and
balustraded roof were formed during the 1852 remodeling. Several of the owners of this house were
involved in the buying and selling of cotton and the manufacture of cotton thread. Private
residence. 235 Third St.
143 McIver Street
Gen. Erasmus Powe probably built this plantation house around 1794. Gen. Powe was a large cotton
planter who later gave this residence to his daughter. Town has now grown to include this portion
of the Powe lands, including this house and “Enfield” nearby. This was Gen. Sherman’s personal
headquarters during the Civil War Union occupation of Cheraw in March of 1865. The large side wing
was once the law office of SC Chief Justice Henry McIver. In the early 20th century the Hartsells
ran a tourist home here for Northern visitors in the winter. Private residence.
324 Third Street
In 1919, near the end of the “king cotton” era, Walker Duvall built this fine example of a brick
Neo-classical. Mr. Duvall was a banker and cotton broker. The sudden drop in cotton prices in the
early 1920’s had a devastating effect on Cheraw’s financial interests. Private residence.